A Treasure At Ground Zero!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 , Posted by Jimmy Kicks Corner at 9:27 PM

As New York prepared to build at Ground Zero, they discovered a ship from the 1700's sunk just 20 feet below the ground. Do I have your attention? I know once I read this blurb I was hooked and had to know more. To think that something great could blossom from a great tragedy as 9-11.


This article goes into how and why a ship could be discovered so far inland. I knew that Manhattan was a man made island, until now I really never gave much thought to how they built the island. I just assumed that they used some sort of dirt or another form of filler, they actually sunk ship to use as pillars and building blocks. The soil is not suitable for organism to live in, so the ship was well preserved.

Unfortunately, they will not be able to salvage the ship. They will document the site the best they can, in the end they will just end up building over this great find. As stated in the article they are countless artifacts waiting to be unearthed below Manhattan, but the bad news is we probably will never see them. This is a case where the worth of the land is more important than the treasure trapped beneath ground.

If you would like to read more of this article please use the link below.

Currently have 0 comments:

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment

Bloggers.com

Jimmy Kicks - Find me on Bloggers.com