Mom of toddler smoker in Indonesia seeks help for him

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 , Posted by Jimmy Kicks Corner at 9:02 AM


I was amazed by this story. This child is 2 years old and is smoking cigarettes already! He is nearly twice the size of normal babies his age (44lbs). Most babies will throw tantrums when they don't get held, a toy, or generally something they want; where this toddler differs is that he throws tantrums when he doesn't get his cigarettes. There is video footage of him blowing smoke rings and inhaling the smoke like an adult. Now some may chalk this up to the culture, or their surroundings but in my opinion this is just bad parenting. The only way we will ever change the world is by teaching our children the correct way to do things. Everyone talks about change for the environment, our health but it boils down to changing the mind sets of our youth. I am of the opinion that babies shouldn't smoke or do harmful things to their bodies. This is the parents fault for giving in to their child's demands. We (parents) are here to teach and guide our children so that they can live a happier and healthier life then we did.

I ask one question "Would you let this happen to your child?"

Please click on this link below to see videos and the whole story.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/05/31/indonesia.smoking.baby/

Currently have 2 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    While entitled to your opinion, you were raised I presume in America. Your beliefs, morals and overall outlook on life and the world is that of an American.

    Until you walk in their shoes, someone in a third world country - your opinions are subjective. Remember, when the Native Americans ruled this beautiful land they smoked all kinds of good stuff; so did their kids. While an infant is a bit extreme from a health stand point, to some cultures it's the norm.

    For me, I don't agree with a child smoking - but I can at least understand that from a health stand point is where my opinion comes. I too was raised in America and it would be ignorant on my part to presume I'm right on any other point. I would be arrogant and ignorant. The quintessential American - all that so many around the world despise due to such "matter of fact" and judgemental thinking.

  1. Chub Johnson says:

    As I may agree with you in some points Anonymous, this in fact is Jimmy's opinion, as now you have stated yours. There is no need to walk in anyone's shoes to understand that something harmful is harmful period. This is why the mother is now seeking help. In any case for you to come across and be so judgmental against Jimmy's opinion makes you that which you are making him out to be. You don't put out a fire by throwing fire over it. You dig? As a parent, and I have no kids, it is their responsibility to make sure their child is out of danger. They should not allow this to happen, nor should they allow it to continue. It truly is as simple as not giving the child cigarettes. There you go, a solution!

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment

Bloggers.com

Jimmy Kicks - Find me on Bloggers.com